Date: 30/09/2016
Name:
Email: Keep my email address private
Reply:
**Your comments must be approved before they appear on the site.
Authentication:

  
clear
You are posting a comment about...
In Libya, As Everywhere, There Will Always Be Civilian Casualties

These civilian casualties are, given the nature of attacks from the air, and where Qaddafy chooses to deliberately place his barraks and anti-aircraft fire, unavoidable.  These casualties do not   make the Libyan intervention morally wrong, Nor should  the defense against such charges confuse anyone into thinking this must endow the Libyan intervention with geopolitical sense.

 

Tripoli air strikes killed 40 civilians claims Vatican official

Vatican envoy in Libya Bishop Giovanni Innocenzo Martinelli says reliable reports that residents in Tajoura died during raid

Air strikes on Tajoura district
Tripoli has seen air strikes hitting Tajoura, leave plumes of black smoke coming from the district. Photograph: Rex Features

Forty civilians have been killed during an air strike on Tripoli, the Vatican's top official in the city has said .

Quoting what he said were reliable reports from residents, Bishop Giovanni Innocenzo Martinelli told the Guardian that 40 people living in the Tajoura district had been killed during a raid "two to three days ago" on a barracks. "There is a barracks there, but it is in the middle of the neighbourhood," he said. "There could have been an arms depot there and if you hit that, you can harm civilians."

Martinelli said he had not seen the site of the bombing, but had been told by a person he trusted. "They said Libyan families had spoken of dead and wounded family members," he said. "There have been many raids here and they are continuing, aimed at all the barracks in the city. "Can you imagine the damage around these sites?"

Martinelli said he had also heard reports of a house collapsing in Buslim, again near a barracks.

"There were certainly people inside, although I do not know how many," he said.

Nato took control of aerial operations over Libya from the US on Thursday, and Nato's senior commander, Canadian Lieutenant General Charles Bouchard, said he would investigate Martinelli's claims, adding that anyone attacking civilians would be "ill-advised" to continue. "I am aware of this news report," he said. "I take every one of those issues seriously, but our mission began … today."

Bouchard said Nato selected targets carefully. "We have very strict rules of engagement provided to us and we are operating within the legal mandate of our United Nations mandate."

Earlier, Martinelli told the Catholic news agency Fides that life in Tripoli was becoming harder every day as the "so-called humanitarian air raids" continued.

" "The fuel shortage has worsened, as evidenced by the queues of cars at petrol stations. On the military level things seem to be at an impasse, because the rebels do not appear to have enough strength to move forward. For this reason I say that the diplomatic solution is the best way to end the bloodshed between the Libyans, giving Gaddafi a dignified way out."News agency Fides said Martinelli had been in Libya for 10 years and was well connected in the country.There are about 100,000 Catholics living in Libya, mostly foreigners employed as nurses.


Join leaders of the American Middle Eastern community to endorse

Donald J. Trump
for President of the United States

and spend an evening with his foreign policy advisors featuring
Dr. Walid Phares
and other surprise campaign guests.

Monday October 17th

Omni Shoreham Hotel
2500 Calvert Street Northwest
Washington, DC 20008

cocktails at 6pm - dinner at 7pm
Business casual attire

$150 per person / $1500 per table

Sponsored by the American Mideast Coalition for Trump

Buy Tickets

Subscribe

Recent Posts

30-Sep-2016
Mandelstam by the Fence by György Faludy 30-Sep-2016
Slander 30-Sep-2016
Poetry
clear