Three dead in eastern Guinea religious clashes
CONAKRY, Feb 7 (Reuters) - At least three people have been killed and dozens more wounded in clashes between Muslims and Christians in southeastern Guinea that have entered their third day, witnesses and officials said on Sunday. Hours after officials said the situation appeared to have calmed down, residents of Nzerekore said soldiers were shooting into the air on Sunday afternoon to try to disperse roving mobs of people armed with machetes and knives.
"We have been told of three dead," said Mamady Kaba, a local official with RADDHO, a pan-African rights group. "The victims are from the two communities. Some are carrying machetes and knives. One was burned alive. The conflict is between the Christian and Muslim communities there but it is starting to take on political dimensions. We need to make sure this situation doesn't get out of hand as it could be very dangerous for the country."
A police source said earlier on Sunday that at least one person had been killed in clashes that had taken place despite a curfew being imposed. Residents reported gunfire for much of Saturday. The shooting started again late on Sunday after a lull.
The dispute degenerated into violence last week after a Christian woman, accused of wearing indecent dress while passing Muslims at prayer, was attacked. In retaliation, Christians stoned Muslims trying to pray.
Posted on 02/07/2010 4:18 PM by Esmerelda Weatherwax