Tuesday, 12 February 2013
You don't say. What a surprise. From the Telegraph
Compensation paid to terror suspects by the British government has ended up in the hands of terrorist groups, Kenneth Clarke has said. The minister told a Parliamentary committee that it would be “naïve” to think that money given to people who claim to have been mistreated by British security forces has not helped fund extremist causes.
Mr Clarke was explaining Government plans to change the law to allow some terrorist cases to be held in secret.
Mr Clarke told the Joint Committee on Human Rights the government’s changes are needed to allow judges to hear sensitive the evidence against some of the suspects who allege mistreatment by the State. MI6, the Secret Intelligence Service, has been successfully sued for damages by several people it considers to be terrorists, but who have never been convicted.
Mr Clarke said that such cases only arise because the intelligence against suspects cannot be disclosed in open court without jeopardising confidential sources. . . Mr Clarke insisted that holding so-called “closed material proceedings” would ensure that terror cases are properly handled and mean compensation payments are not needed.
“At the moment, we pay out millions of pounds. It is arguable that quite a lot of these people would not have got those damages if the defence had been called against them,” he said. “We don’t know where the money goes. You are completely naïve if you don’t think that some of that money has possibly made its way to a terrorist organisation.”
Posted on 02/12/2013 1:21 PM by Esmerelda Weatherwax
17 Mar 2013
I can't beelive I've been going for years without knowing that.