The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that more makers of malapropisms make mondegreens than makers of mondegreens make malapropisms. Malapropistes would write things incorrectly as well as say them, whereas mondegreeners would not read things incorrectly. I think Lady Mondegreen is more intelligent and more of a femme fatale than Mrs Malaprop, but I wouldn’t go to the barracudas over this.
Here is my article, Malaplomb, which plummets the deaths of this subject. I also stumbled across some celebrity malapropisms here:
"The police are not here to create disorder, they're here to preserve disorder."
- Your ambition - is that right - is to abseil across the English channel?"
- "It is beyond my apprehension."
Danny Ozark, baseball team manager
- "Listen to the blabbing brook."
- "This is unparalyzed in the state's history."
Gib Lewis, Texas Speaker of the House
- "She's really tough; she's remorseful."
- "And then he [Mike Tyson] will have only channel vision."
Frank Bruno, boxer
- "Cardial - as in cardial arrest."
- "Marie Scott... has really plummeted to the top."
- "He's going up and down like a metronome."
- "He's on 90... 10 away from that mythical figure."
Trevor Bailey, cricket commentator
- "Unless somebody can pull a miracle out of the fire, Somerset are cruising into the semi-final."
- "We cannot let terrorists and rogue nations hold this nation hostile or hold our allies hostile."
George W. Bush
Richard Daley, former Chicago mayor
I wonder what would happen if Mrs. Malaprop got together with Rev. Spooner.
Posted on 11/30/2006 8:14 AM by Mary Jackson