by James Como
* Why are healthy symbols, some happily traditional others hallowed, yielded so easily to the fanatics? The okay symbol (thumb and forefinger making an O, the other three fingers raised) and the Betsy Ross flag are now verboten. Why? Because some lunatics have adopted them? And so we are told we may not use them (by Colin Kaepernick, no less)? Shall we yield every symbol to the crazies simply because they take them as theirs, or because self-appointed avatars of social justice nix them? What’s next?
* Should we continue to wait for two particular prosecutions, as we do for O.J to track down the real killer? I’m thinking of Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown. The first pursued and subdued the man who eventually shot him. The second, a huge thug, who was, in spite of a warning, approaching a policeman whose gun he had already tried to grab. In both cases we were promised either civil or federal suits, including by the then-Attorney General Eric Holder. But we have no suits, and for the obvious reason: both dead men invited their own deaths. In the case of Brown, all the original claims – most notoriously “hands up, don’t shoot” – were entirely discredited, largely by black onlookers. And yet . . . and yet . . . both Kamela Harris and Elizabeth Warren referred to Brown as ‘murdered’. Have you no shame, ladies, have you no shame?
* How long before the DSM includes the diagnosis of political incorrectness as a species of Tourette’s: Compulsive Obstinacy Independence Trauma.
* How long before we have Antifa Re-Education Centers, with group therapy for those suffering from COIT, ‘facilitated’ by a person who has been victimized when her safe space was violated by use of the wrong pronoun?
* What do we make of the two goomba Cuomos (can a family have two Fredos?) and De Niro “Fuck Trump,” then, overcome by a fit of creativity, a second “fuck Trump,” (as well as a VM rant that has gotten him sued)? Models of Italian-American manhood?
* In light of Roman Polanski’s upcoming movie, what do we make of Her Majesty Queen Meryl? She called Harvey Weinstein “god” and gave a standing ovation to Roman Polanski, who drugged and anally raped at least one fourteen-year-old girl.
* Empires have gotten a bad rap, in most cases deservedly. Rome got it right for about three hundred years, a good run; here and there the Brits got it very right, but only here and there. The Incas did not last long: the culture was a hive, really, and the resentment of conquered tribes contributed mightily to their downfall. The European colonial empires – German, Italian, Portugese, Spanish – were largely shameful. Yugoslavia, though, a sort of empire, worked for a spell but could not significantly outlast its strongman. The Ottomans had their day, as did the Mongols: yet, what’s to show for that? But the Holy Romans and Austro-Hungarians did yeoman work, both in building and preserving Western Civilization. And then there were the Soviets: the nail in the coffin of empire. Or was it? Maybe we are in the age of crypto-empires, for what else does the EU aspire to, however covertly? True, without the Brits they are back to a contiguous land mass, but overseas colonies never were essential to empire status. The Chinese are imperialists without the name, and Iran is certainly giving it a good shot. Don’t giant corporations (e.g. Google) deserve a look? I say if they’ve got the game they get the name and so are re-defined, re-considered and re-assessed.
Some Questions I’d Like to Be Asked . . .
Exactly why do you so dislike movements of all kinds?
Have you ever thought your brand of individualism is dangerously extreme?
Really? Mickey Mantle over Willie Mays?
Just how miserable were the James Weldon Johnson Housing Projects in Harlem?
Are you Islamophobic?
Is there any way you can deny being a beneficiary of White Privilege?
Ali not in the top ten boxers of all time?
Why do you no longer call yourself a Conservative?
How many mulligans in life do you wish you had? Single-, double-, triple-digits?
Can you defend The Mills Brothers as “the greatest singing group of all time”?
What are the origins of the Catholic pedophilia scandal?
Why do gangsters like Capone and Gotti not embarrass you as an Italian-American?
Do you have a favorite fallacy?
What five words or phrases drive you the craziest?
Would you ever join a public demonstration or protest?
Amazon donates to World Encounter Institute Inc when you shop at smile.amazon.com/ch/56-2572448. #AmazonSmile #StartWithaSmile