Our society is currently plagued by numerous leftist individuals who have been given a platform, particularly in academia, to peddle mediocrity. They do so by, in general, condemning meritocracy (definition: people will reap benefits from society as a result of their activity because they are talented/strong/intelligent/hardworking/persevering/skillful) and by eliminating those areas where meritocracy can shine. And specifically, they peddle mediocrity by eliminating courses for intellectually gifted students, or eliminating grades altogether, or distorting SAT scores, admitting applicants to Ivy League universities who can barely read and write, insisting that the classics in literature and art be completely eliminated, and by discriminating and otherwise attacking Asian–Americans. The equity pimps claim that women and People of Color—by which they mean blacks and Hispanics—cannot possibly succeed in life through merit, so that no blacks and no Hispanics can ever become television or movie actors, or politicians, businessmen, chiefs of police, governors, Congressmen, Supreme Court judges, not to mention president, and that the rich keep the poor down. This barrier, they insist, is self-evident and to deny it, or advocate meritocracy is racist.
In spite of what they say, their real goal is not to elevate the lowest common denominator of society, not really, but—what is more importantly to them—is tearing down the works, statues and reputations of the great men and women of history. Even the pillars of civilization must be torn down in order to achieve “equity.” It is one of the manifestations of the apotheosis of putrefaction and depravity over our culture.
As to why some civilizations/countries stagnate while others flourish and continue to flourish, well, I would argue that meritocracy is the answer.
While peddling mediocrity, some of their claims are bizarre, so out of touch with reality, and so out of any rational evidence to support their remarks and their demands.
And, like the amoeba, Naegleria fowleri that enters the ear and goes straight for the brain, leftists automatically gravitate towards positions of power, where they impose and promote their ideology.
Does this sound too harsh? Then, peruse just a very small sample of the claims made:
- The term “shark attack” to describe a person killed or mutilated is considered politically incorrect and should be substituted for “shark encounter.”
- An article in the New England Journal of Medicine has come out advocating that a child’s sex not be put in birth certificates in order to facilitate transgendering.
- Boise State University’s Boise State Uniting for Inclusion and Leadership in Diversity—where mediocrities thrive—is indoctrinating the staff to judge students’ written work without resorting to quality, merit, or accuracy, but will keep the principles of Diversity, Inclusiveness, and Equity foremost in mind.
- American University is applying the principles advocated by Asao Inoue of the University of Washington-Tacoma by indoctrinating the staff to judge students’ written work without resorting to quality, merit or accuracy, but will keep the principles of Diversity, Inclusiveness, and Equity foremost in mind, so that mediocrities can thrive, especially if they are Minorities. This effort will be led by Neisha-Anne Green of the Academic Support and Access Center and Marnie Twigg of the Writing Studies Program.
- Using mathematics in art, such as the Fibonacci ratio, is racist, and used by Nazis.
- Truth is racism.
- Professor Genna Reeves-DeArmond is one of many who have declared that gender is not the product of chromosomes, thereby setting back 900 years the fields of medicine and biology.
- A journal article had as its thesis that tough engineering courses only serves to uphold “white male heterosexual privilege.”
- Reed College will now de-emphasize or eliminate Western civilization courses because some of the students and administrators say it is racist to study them.
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign professor Rochelle Gutierrez took part in the fiasco called Common Core. This mediocrity advocates that mathematics abandon its obsession with facts and become political, and by that, she means, leftist politics. Exclusively. She has further perverted the teaching of mathematics and the concept of mathematics as being more of a “moral” subject rather than a rational, logical tool for understanding the world.
- E=MC2 is a sexist equation and Isaac Newton’s Principia Mathematica is a rape manual.
- The (Democratic) government of Oregon passed a bill that high school graduates do not have to be proficient in mathematics, reading or writing before they graduate. Foundations for a Better Oregon said in a statement—written with a straight face—that the bill is intended to “truly reflect what every student needs to thrive in the 21st century.”
For centuries, science has progressed by questioning dogma and offering differing views and facts. In medicine, second opinions on maladies and treatments are standard. Now, it has been proposed that disagreeing with Dr. Fauci or the CDC should be prosecuted as hate crimes.
I would like to say that these are just a few isolated morons promoting mediocrity under the banner of equity, but this movement has metastasized. And conservatives, libertarians and independents, as usual, do nothing to counter this trend.
A few months back we had the Olympics. This is one venue where meritocracy is there for all to see and enjoy. Out of hundreds of athletes, the strongest, the fastest, the most elegant, the most agile, the most fearless, was rewarded and held up to the world to see, to admire, and to inspire. A testament to meritocracy.
In the podium to receive their medals were white athletes (Valarie Allman, Karsten Warholm, Caeleb Dressel, DeAnna Price, Gianmarco Tamberi), Asian athletes (Gong Lijiao, Hidilyn Diaz, Sakura Yosozumi, An San, Mayu Mukaida), and black athletes (Mutaz Essa Barshim, Chijindu Ujah, Elaine Thompson-Herah, Faith Kipyegon).
Notice the medal winners here, listed by country. The United States, Russia, China, Japan and Great Britain are on top with the most medals, the athletes from the USA (Jade Carey, Tamyra Mensah-Stock, Suni Lee, Katie Nageotte) and the UK (Emily Campbell, Ben Whittaker, Daryll Neita, Asha Philip, Zharnel Hughes) being multiracial. Team USA practically needed a wheelbarrow to bring back home all the medals won.
Now, if the mediocrity pimps, with their cries and demand for “equity” had their way, then a “redistribution” of medals would take place, with athletes from countries with fewer medals like Fiji, Angola, Nicaragua, Mali, El Salvador, and Tuvalu suddenly receiving “their fair share” of medals, each from random athletic events, which they may not have even participated in. But “equity” would have become a reality. And to leftists that is most important.
Liberals would be absolutely ecstatic in implementing such a “redistribution of wealth” in the name of equity.
Me? I would not want to watch such an Olympics.