The Telegraph continues a live update
Five terrorists wearing fake suicide belts have been shot dead by police after ramming civilians with a car in a Spanish seaside town in a second attack to hit the country.
Seven people, including a police officer, were injured in the vehicle attack in Cambrils – hours after a rampaging van driver left 13 people dead and more than 100 wounded around 70 miles away in Barcelona.
In the wake of the carnage in Cambrils, several controlled blasts were carried out in the area. Police said the attackers had been wearing explosive belts, which experts later concluded were fake.
Investigators said they are working on the theory that the attacks in Cambrils and Barcelona, as well as an explosion in the town of Alcanar on Wednesday, are linked.
A major manhunt for the driver of the van that mowed down holidaymakers and locals on Las Ramblas – a popular tourist thoroughfare in Barcelona – is continuing. Two people have so far been arrested over the attack, including Driss Oukabir, a 28-year-old Moroccan who is believed to have rented the van used in Barcelona.
On Friday morning, a third person was arrested in the Spanish city of Ripoll. It is unknown if this is the suspected van driver, who fled unarmed.